Monday, November 9, 2009

On Being Humble


You and I can be straightaway reduced to begging for our supper and a place to lay our head. It is a very humble person who asks for help. Once you realize your need for help and have felt the gift - your own gifts can be shared in humility.
Chin
What can the gifts of one humble servant be worth? We sometimes say that my small effort will not make much difference. It was Dwight Moody who said, “I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And that which I can do, by the grace of God, I will do.” We must know that God takes our gift and adds Grace, and that make the difference.
Slap Head
I think that the hardest time for me to be humble is when I am helping some one, to whom I could rightly say, “I told you so!”It is at these times that an old prayer, by Peter Marshall, comes to mind. “Lord, when we are wrong, make us willing to change.  And when we are right, make us easy to live with.”
Angel
How does that country western song go? “O Lord it’s hard to be humble when you’re perfect in every way.”
Big Grin
Well we may sometimes think so but if we were, we wouldn’t need Jesus and His gift of salvation. … And we do need it!


1 comment:

  1. You are right about that...being humble and asking for help. It is so difficult. But there is also so much joy in helping someone. I guess I can now say I've been on both sides of the fence--now being the one asking for help. How precious is He.

    ReplyDelete