Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Old Grey Beard

Yesterday I went to the health club to work out and swim. As I walked up to the door a young woman in her mid to late twenties was a step ahead of me and she opened the door a motioned for me to enter ahead of her. As one who usually opens the door for ladies I was surprised. As I entered I said “Thank you.” To which she replied, “You are welcome, Sir.”


I am not sure what to make of that. I guess it is age before beauty. The old grey beard is telling tales on me but then again I am retired and perhaps showing it. The delightful part of this is that we do have young people with a sense of courtesy and that gives me hope for the future.

1 comment:

  1. if I'm at the door first, I try to always check if someone is behind me and, old or young, I hold the door for them. Too often people just keep on walking and the door slams in my face... and though I yell to them "thank you!" they usually just keep on walking, oblivious to their discourtesy.

    People usually have no manors today. But cases like you wrote about give me hope.

    ReplyDelete