Saturday, May 21, 2011

Christian ??? Marriage

It was about two AM when the phone rang. The Raymore Police needed the Police Chaplain to report for a domestic disturbance call. As I walked up the front steps I could hear the loud arguments and shouting at the police. An officer met me at the door and explained the situation both were violent and neither wanted to press charges. Could I help? 


When I walked in to the house everything got real quiet. Those two officers were impressed with the power of the cross on my collar. What the officers didn’t know was I knew the couple; I had married the couple only three years before. They were embarrassed to have me see them like this.


          I ask the officers to leave and assured them that I would be all right. The couple and I began to remember their wedding and how much they loved each other. I ask how could such a loving couple get in to fighting this way? Several months of counseling followed. One of the problems in that relationship the husband thought that the husband had the right to punish his wife if he thought that she had disobeyed him.


          Many are the men who remember that somewhere in the Bible it says that a wife should be subject to her husband and that the husband is head of the wife. They are correct but they don’t remember enough about that scripture.


          Note how Ephesians chapter five verse twenty-one starts us off; “Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ.”  Be subject to one another is an important concept in the Christian Marriage. For the Apostle Paul to say this in a very male dominated world is astounding.  Yet through out this section on Christian marriage that theme predominates.

1 comment:

  1. We talked about this very subject tonight at service. We are reading "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman at church. Wonderful book for marriages.

    ReplyDelete