Saturday, May 14, 2011

Historia means Inquiry

I love History and the lessons we can learn from the past events and people in human history. The Greek word στορία - historia, meaning "inquiry,” or knowledge acquired by investigation. The fifth century Greek writer Herodotus is considered to be the father of history because his book on the Greek wars with Persia was called “Historia.”  It was an inquiry into the reasons for the war and its execution.


Inquiry is exactly what I love to do. Ask questions of why, how, when, what, and results. For too many people history is a class they had to endure in High School and memorizing names and dates long enough to pass the test. For me it was exciting to not only read the text book but to research in the library for more information. Those people had a story to tell and I loved the stories. I still do!


One of my favorite quotes is, “If you don’t learn from history you are domed to repeat it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment