Monday, June 4, 2012

Not For Sissies!




Over forty years ago I was pastor of a church in a small Texas town. A retired minister in his eighties lived there. I often visited with him and he served as an informal mentor. One of his often stated sayings was, “Getting old is not for sissies.”

Over the years I have used that quote many times. These days the cold hard truth of it is becoming clearer. It seems that every time I go to the doctor she tells me that I must stop doing something I like, stop eating things I love and start doing things I hate to do.

Gone are the days when I can follow an impulse and eat what ever is set before me. Any thing with sugar is poison. I need to check the carb count and look for seeds that might later create havoc. Calories I have consumed are no longer burned off so quickly as before, they now require extra exercise.

I now know for real that the old pastor was right, growing old is not for sissies.

No comments:

Post a Comment