Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day Dreams


For many of us so much of our time is spent on wasted day dreams. How many times did my teachers ask me what I was staring at out the window? I was not actually looking at anything out the window; I was thinking about far away places and what I might do there. Some would say they were wasted day dreams and perhaps some of them were but not all of them.

The difference between those dreams that are wasted and those that are not depends on what we do with them. A day dream becomes a life goal when we begin to act on it. That action may come many years later when an opportunity arrives and a dream become a reality. When I was in the eighth grade I wrote a short paper on Petra and became fascinated with the city carved out of the rocks. Over the years I day dreamed about what it would be like to visit that place. When I studied archaeology in collage that day dream returned and included digging in Petra. The day dream became a reality in 1999, 2002 and 2005.


Writer’s day dream and we later read their novels. Edison day dreamed and later lights came on. Einstein day dreamed and science was turned on its head. Jules Vern dreamed of going to the moon and President Kennedy took action to make it a reality. Day dreams are important beyond entertaining ourselves when we put action to the dream. Dream on my friends. Dream on! 

1 comment: