Monday, June 10, 2013

I Just Saw an Accident


I was sitting at a left turn lane with the light on a red arrow. A man two cars ahead of me in a black SUV suddenly decided it was OK to make a left turn on a red arrow. It turns out it was not OK as he hit an on coming car on the left rear side and spun it around. There was a baby on board.

While still stopped I called 911 and reported the accident. When it was a green arrow I made my left turn and pulled in to the parking lot and went to the car to help and waited for the police to arrive.

Accidents like this happen because we relax our values. We think we are in a hurry and red lights slow us down. I have witnessed many people turn left on a red arrow or run a stop sign as though they have the right of way all the time. Most of the time people get away with the infraction. Then they do it again and again but once in a while it catches up with them. Perhaps a police car is just down the street and they get a ticket. Perhaps like today an on coming car with a green light is moving faster than expected and a collision occurs.


We need to respect traffic controls at all times and drive with safety in mind and not our need for hurry. Nothing is so important that it might cost a life.

No comments:

Post a Comment