Thursday, September 30, 2010

Euphemisms


Euphemism
 Use of a mild, neutral, evasive, or vague term in place of one considered taboo, offensive, blunt, or unpleasant. 
What
How would we live without euphemisms? They let us say terrible things without sounding terrible. They let us say sexual things with out sounding vulgar. They let us demean a person while sounding polite.
Chin
EXAMPLES:
collateral damage for civilian casualties
second-hand for used
pre-owned for second-hand
pre-loved for pre-owned
budget for cheap
pass (away) for die
sanitation worker for garbage collector/janitor
convivial for drunken
Lady of the night for whore
 Nudge Wink
What are some of your favorite euphemisms?

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to think about that. I *try* to be tactful. I use them all the time and could write a book about it really.

    I'm awful. Really I'm awful and mine are all hilarious but somewhat demented.

    Cheers,
    Bobby

    Church - Hospital for Sinners.

    ReplyDelete