Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Tax Breaks

An old pastor’s joke has an IRS agent visiting a pastor to ask about a member’s donations. “Did Mr. Jones give a $10,000.00 donation to the church last year?” The pastor was quick with his reply, ”I will have to check with the church treasurer but let me assure you that if he hasn’t he will.”

 We all enjoy receiving tax breaks for our charitable donations. Some charities are concerned that radical tax reform might remove that deduction and their income would go down. While it may be nice to receive a tax break for our tithes to the church, my motivation for giving to God goes far beyond the realm of personal gain. As a follower of Jesus the Christ I understand that a tithe of my income already belongs to God.

The prophet Malachi asks the question, “Will a man rob God?” So for me to withhold even a small part of the tithe is an act of robbing God. I do not want to stand at the judgment seat and explain that disobedience. More to the point I always want to be in a right loving relationship with God. I love God with all my heart, soul and mind and my earnest desire is to please God with every breath I take and everything I do.

The tax break is great but it is not why I give to the Church. 

2 comments:

  1. Remember the old saying..."You don't own anything. God is just letting you use some of His stuff while you're here."

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I remember that from things my mother told me.

    ReplyDelete