Monday, July 23, 2012

My Laura's Why



            Why do we do things the way we do? “What is our ministry?” “Why are we still here?” Where are we going?” And “What does God want us to do now?” These are all very good questions and ones that we should revisit from time to time to make sure we are on the right track.

My youngest daughter reminded me that when she was a child that she had asked me the question, “Why are we [humans] here?” 

Now there is a question that philosophers have been arguing about for thousands of years. I have always tried to answer my daughter’s questions with honest answers framed in language I felt they could understand at their age level. I remember Laura asking that question though she often asked questions far beyond her years. What amazed me is that she remembers and remembers the answer I gave her.

She said on her blog site, “I asked my father when I was a child- "Why are we here?" I have never found a better answer than the one he gave me. He told me that we are here to love. That God loves us and that we have a duty to love each other as God loves us. When you ask, What would God have me do? You'd better be thinking "What would Love have me do?" at the same time.”

In its most basic form that is still the answer all the questions we have been asking. We are here to Love GOD and Love others. That is our purpose, our mission, and our message. When we learn to do love right everything else will also be done right.

No comments:

Post a Comment