On this Constitution Day I thought it would be a good idea to celebrate and reflect on the preamble of the US Constitution established 226 years ago.
We the People of the
United States, in Order to form a more perfect
Union, establish Justice, Insure Domestic Tranquility, Provide for the common defense,
promote the General Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves
and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the . United States of America
This statement tells us about the purpose of the Government of the
. United States
1. Form a more perfect
Union: Not that it will be perfect but more perfect than the
Articles of Confederation that was then in effect. We have
been perfecting and sometimes defecting our union for over two
hundred years. It is an ongoing process as you can see from the number of
amendments thus far.
2. Establish Justice: Our rights are protected and we have a system to correct wrongs.
3. Insure Domestic Tranquility: This is keeping the peace between peoples in the country. Law and Order.
4. Provide for the Common Defence: Our Navy, Marines, Army, Air Force and in war time Coast Guard.
5. Promote the General Welfare: A lot of people forget that welfare in in the constitution. Food stamps, Social Security, health care, jobs programs, are all constitutional under this clause.
6. Secure the blessings of liberty: Personal liberty for every
perhaps one of the most important elements of our constitution. US
I invite you to dwell on these thoughts today and give thanks that we have our wonderful 226 year old Constitution of the
States of America