Monday, March 2, 2009

9,000+ Hymns

There are times when the aches and pains of life make me grumble and groan. I am tempted to succumb to the age old grip of, "Why me Lord?" and wallow in self pity.

Then I read a book called "Her Heart Can See"  by Edith L. Blumhofer about the life of Fanny Crosby and all thoughts of self pity fade in to nothingness. Fanny was born in 1820 with two strikes against her. She was female during a time when women in America were still chattel and she was blind. It was to say the least a tough life but she also had a talent for words and she used it.

Over the course of her almost 95 years she wrote over nine thousand hymns and many of them are favorites of mine. "Blessed Assurance" and "Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross" are just two of them.

Well my troubles are few and my blessing are many.


3 comments:

  1. Tough getting old isn't it? Its hard to understand until you cross that bridge. I get it.

    I don't like it but I get it.

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes indeed Bobby getting old is not for sissies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Bobby says!

    Oh! Nice layout ya got here, Pastor Larry. :)

    Thankyou for praying for me. My eye is getting better.

    ReplyDelete