Sunday, June 10, 2012

Spiritual Workouts


In Philippians 2:12 Paul tells us to “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.”

This verse has often puzzled me since he also says that salvation if a free gift God though grace.  What does it mean for me to work out my own salvation?

Here is the rub; I carry around within me a lot of baggage that hinders my acceptance of this free gift of grace. Things like anger, fear, selfishness, and hatred of those different than me. So working though my salvation means letting go of my anger toward someone and forgiving them even if they do not ask for it. It means letting go of those things that I covet.  It means relinquishing control of situations that make me anxious.

God invites me to work out my salvation by letting go of things I want to control and allowing God to do some cleaning in this earthly tent that I call my life. Once I claim the gift of salvation my workout is like a personal attitude adjustment so that from then on my living represents Jesus my savior to the rest of the world. My spiritual workout has always been a struggle and still is. Like physical exercise it never stops.

How is your spiritual workout going?

No comments:

Post a Comment