Sunday, September 9, 2012

Wasted Votes?



It was suggested to me that a vote for a third party candidate is a wasted vote. The other way of saying it is that a vote for a third party is really a vote for the party some one else does not like. I strongly disagree!

Your vote and my vote is a political statement of personal preference. In that context no vote is wasted except for the vote that is never cast. If I do not like either major party then my political statement is to say so by voting for a third party that I do like.

Saying that because I choose to vote for Governor Gary Johnson is really a vote for President Obama or from the other side a vote for Governor Romney is just not true. Your vote counts for the one you vote for even if that person does not win. In the last presidential election Senator McCain did not win but one would not say that the people who voted for him wasted their votes.

I strongly encourage every citizen to vote for who ever you choose. You only waste your vote if you do not vote.  

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I feel we DESPERATELY need a viable third party. The two we have now are doing us no favor.

    S

    ReplyDelete