Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Why Do I Believe?


Why do we believe the things we do?  Our religion, politics, life theories or what ever have foundations that start early in our lives. It is a good thing for us to examine our beliefs on a regular basis up date our core understandings. That is not always an easy thing to do!  

To be honest with ourselves takes a lot of work and we may not like some of the answers we discover. Many of the things we hold most dear start in our early childhood because we trusted our parents. Because of that trust we adopt many beliefs, with out thinking about it, our parents belief systems on many things. Our understanding of God is an example of a core belief that is most often passed on from parent to child. I am a member of the same church my mother belongs to.

We can change our core beliefs but it takes effort and should not be done in haste. I am not involved in the same political movement my parents usually voted for because I reexamined my thoughts on the matter. If I only listen to those who believe as I do my self examination is shallow and ineffective. Being honest with ourselves can bring us to stronger core beliefs and a more powerful life. It starts with the question, “Why do I believe what I do?” and moves to exploring new ideas and information. It is a journey worth the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment