Friday, March 11, 2011

A Very Disturbing Book

I am currently reading a book that is most disturbing. It is “Misquoting Jesus” The story behind who changed the bible and why but Dr. Bart D. Ehrman. He is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He came to UNC in 1988, after four years of teaching at Rutgers University. At UNC he has served as both the Director of Graduate Studies and the Chair of the Department of Religious Studies.


It is not surprising that those who depend on the theology of bible inerrancy dismiss him out right for he says that the current bible is full of changes from the original text.  I have known for a long time that indeed there were some changes from the original Greet text of the New Testament. I have seen and studied some of them. What disturbs me is the volume of word changes and actual large additions to the text. Some were done by scribes making errors in copying and others were done to support their own theological positions.


I have been doing a lot of cross checking the claims made here and to my shock the evidence seems to support his work. I am striving to be very careful in this study. It really has my gray matter stirred up.

No comments:

Post a Comment