Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Its On My Prayer List

My morning prayer list is a long one. One item on my list of things to pray about is, "Please help me see the opportunities to share my faith in a way that others will accept."

I don't have any trouble speaking to others about my faith but I know that I can be overbearing at times. Early in my ministry I watched as some of my friends used heavy handed tactics on people and did more harm than good. Some tried to scare the "hell" out of people and it usually does not work. Often when it seems to work is is a short term effect.

As I studied the teachings of Jesus, I noticed that He had a different approach. Instead of using fright he used love. It is far more effective and long term to love someone into heaven than scare them out of hell. My witness is to lovingly share what I believe and why I believe it.

My witness to others is always undergirded by my morning prayer for those who do not know Jesus.

5 comments:

  1. I have always sensed this about you and appreciate this approach more than you will ever know.

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that I love about my husband is that he has such faith (I am agnostic) and am fascinated each night when he gives thanks for our meal.
    I like the way you think about sharing your faith in a more subtle way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still don't understand why Christians (or any other religion for that matter) feel they need to share their faith with others, this historically has always led down the path to terrible atrocities all committed in the name of God.

    A belief system or faith should be a private and personal thing and should never be foisted down the throat of others but they do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MickH I agree that a belief system should never be forced on someone.
    But to share a faith that brings you blessings is a joy.

    I disagree with faith always leads to terrible atrocities. There have been people who commit terrible atrocities in the name of their faith but that is a very different thing.
    People who do commit hate crimes in the name of Jesus go counter to the teaching of Jesus.
    The same is true of other religions.

    This could be a long sermon but you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastor Larry, I think you do a wonderful job of not being overbearing, just sharing your faith. :)

    ReplyDelete